[Bf-committers] Re: SDL versus OpenAL

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Sun Oct 30 13:04:24 CET 2005

Le 30 oct. 05 à 12:29, Melchior FRANZ a écrit :

> * Campbell Barton -- Sunday 30 October 2005 12:17:
>
>> OpenAL- 3D Sound Developed by Loki games (Died in the arse ages
>> ago) Dev
>> was ment to continue though seems slow (there are 3 implementations
>> [...] (On the OpenAL page there were only 2 examples of apps that
>> use it
>> (omitting blender)) - Examples of usage is 3d positional audio,
>> (would
>> work on 5.1 sound systems) , Doppler (blender uses this)
>>

> FWIW: The FlightGear flight simulator[1] switched to OpenAL one or
> two years
> ago. It uses positional sound and Doppler etc. This works very
> well. I don't
> know of any other implementation than that of the official http://
> www.openal.org/
> site.  OpenAL is very actively developed, judging by the CVS
> commits. Rumors of
> OpenAL dying are greatly exaggerated.  :-)

To add further to the confusion OpenAl is available at system level
in Os X
10.4. it was not in 10;3 and before.

the framework in system is 1.0. last available is 1.1. Blender do not
use it but
its own version

For me, the problem is more that we have multiple sound systems that
all half work

btw i think there is extensions to SDL managing  what lacks in base lib.

Also SDL is nice for sound, but it gives more than that (even if i
dont like some
of its aspects).

lukep