[Bf-committers] SDL versus OpenAL

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sun Oct 30 12:17:24 CET 2005

Hey Guys.
 From a quick look and some expierence.
SDL Sound: Basic stereo sound API - does most things youll ever want for
a game, well supported by SDL guys which seems to release every so often
and have active dev.

OpenAL- 3D Sound Developed by Loki games (Died in the arse ages ago) Dev
was ment to continue though seems slow (there are 3 implementations
AFAIK- I did some stuff with it a while back 2 yrs? - Original from
Loki, Creative's and another independent one I cant recall the name of)
Creative SBLive have EAX OpenAL accelerated sound but there the only
company that do it. Apparently documentation is poor. (On the OpenAL
page there were only 2 examples of apps that use it (omitting blender))
- Examples of usage is 3d positional audio, (would work on 5.1 sound
systems) , Doppler (blender uses this) - SDL Sound would not be able to
do these if OpenAL was dropped.

I cant work out of develoment has stopped- Read the dev archives, seems
people are talking,
Seems like 1.1 was released 2005, 5 years between v1.0 to 1.1 could maen
close to discontinued :/
http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal-devel/

Personally I don't think OpenAL sould be a dependency, what about
IF/DEFS so SDLSound can be default?

Downloading the latest OpenAL 1.1+ now from the CVS...
- Cam