[Bf-committers] Timestamp

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Thu Oct 27 11:57:55 CEST 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 01:36, Campbell Barton wrote:
> It depends, is this for blenders internal workings then I agree (dont
> expose to python). the example given about normal map generation sounded

with exposing the DAG to Python, i just meant that Blender provides a way for
scripts to get DataChanged etc. events - for example by having such
scriptlinks as you proposed. i guess we all agree that the actual DAG should
be hidden from the API users.

> like a python plugin to me. I have made python plugins also that would
> have had an advantage if there was a timestamp on a mesh.

is that also for the same reason that Jordi mentioned, that the dependants are
(quoting him)  'not "alive" all the time. Imagine that what i want to do is
like a plugin that is run sometimes. When run i want to check if i can reuse
some of the data the plugin has stored in disk from the previous execution.'?

dunno if the DAG could be used somehow to solve that too (like queuing the
events somewhere when the recipient plugin is not "alive", huh?) but at least
that way it sounds awkward to me,

perhaps the timestamp would indeed be the solution there - dunno if there are
any complexities in getting it implemented (i guess storing one int does not
take much cpu even though it would happen to many objects very often). so is
it already added to the metadata/properties wishlist?-)

> - Cam

~Toni