[Bf-committers] Re: Clues about OpenAL linking issue

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Fri Oct 21 01:55:14 CEST 2005

GSR wrote:
> Under which distros that is not needed so there was a reason to not
> patch the makefiles?
>
> GSR

I'm against this -- less dependencies is better. As an
example, on IRIX the version of sdl distributed with
'freeware' links to aalib ... do we really want to insist
that people have an ascii art library installed in order
to run blender? Similarly, blender doesn't use ogg vorbis,
so why insist users have it installed?

I say either build without openal, or build your
own openal (which is how I build blender).

Chris