[Bf-committers] User-defined Material Properties

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Thu Oct 13 22:51:35 CEST 2005

Greg MacDonald wrote:
> I suppose if we redo this functionality in a more general way, we can
> continue to support object properties as long as we keep the python
> interface the same. So we could do away with game object properties, or
> we could keep it and offer general properties as an additional feature?
> What do you think?

No need to worry about the BPython API in such cases, imho, we can all
benefit from an improved system for dynamic properties. Updating scripts
that use the current system should be trivial and I'm sure those who
need this feature will more than welcome the upgrade.

> For what I've gathered thus far, viewing and editing of generic
> properties that are categorized will eliminate the need for scripts to
> draw buttons and panels directly. So the only thing that's
> left for UI is python access to menus? Would everyone agree with that?

The Scripts window would still be necessary for scripts with large or
simply different gui's, mixed with 2d / 3d (textured) geometry, blocks
of text, etc. And anyway, the needs of scripts don't necessarily fit the
properties model, unless a general enough model is introduced. Some
options are related to the script itself (parameters to functions inside
it, for example), not to any other object in Blender.

So, the BPython API can benefit a lot from more general support of
properties, but that wouldn't eliminate the usefulness of drawing
buttons in the Scripts window.

--
Willian