[Bf-committers] Internal renderer question (help)

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Oct 12 11:32:18 CEST 2005

Hi,

Although very useful, I don't recommend such coding project to someone
who's not totally familiar to how Blender works, and especially the
rendering system.

I've done a lot of work to get Blender rendering in threads (SDL),
doing that involved a lot of very painful code rewrites. It now renders
a scanline based thread. Having threads running for entire Parts is at
this moment a task I won't even try myself.

I have no active knowledge about the consequences of "MPI" or
"distributed memory". You could really first tell us the functionality
you require, before already having decided on crucial technical
implementation issues. :)

For example; for a cluster you can just start up individual blender
binaries, and signal each running process to render a single part.
That's not shared memory, but quite efficient. (This feature is not
implemented yet, although it's possible with a hacky trick already).

If 'distributed memory' means that you run threads that share memory, I
recommend you to not even try!

-Ton-