[Bf-committers] User-defined Material Properties

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Oct 12 10:01:33 CEST 2005

Hi,

Yes, having custom properties for (most of) Blender's internal data is
on the wishlist already for long. :)
It should also be used - for example - by yafray or other external
render modules or game engine exporters. We still have to meet with the
developers about that topic.

How it would integrate in the UI is also an issue... at this moment I
would prefer to do this work in a way other projects benefit from as
well.

For example; one could execute a script (or we do it builtin for a
couple) that creates by default the preset properties for a specific
purpose. So, instead of a Yafray Panel in Lamp buttons now, a "Custom"
Panel can be used, then filled with the options Yafray likes to extend
lamps with.

Taking the idea further, it could work well if the property system can
become hierarchical, or at least grouped in multiple lists. That way
you can have a group of Yafray properties, Crystal Space properties,
OpenFlight properties... for each group you can also define to have it
filling a new Panel in the buttons menus, with a nice clear title.

Oh, and then the Property system should become a bit more flexible, for
example to define types of buttons, or layouts... or, we let Python
draw such property Panels.

Lots of questions! Needs further research... especially on creating
insight in all the specifications each developer/artist has for
extending Blender for specific purposes. Just adding it now "because it
can" is asking for troubles. :)

-Ton-