[Bf-committers] Changing the release method to have a maximum time

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Oct 11 15:20:12 CEST 2005

Hi,

Makes all sense to me, apart from the weird AAR name. :)

The Bcon schedule hasn't been extremely strict followed until now, but
I still like the switch from '2' (new projects worked on) to '3' (specs
finished for release). Test releases can be done during both periods,
with cumulated stability for those projects that were finished, other
projects can be unfinished still, so hard to give this stability a real
'number' or value. All test releases during that period can carry a
"Beta" or "Pre" tag, which is more commonly known than "AAR".

During '4' we can make releases called "RC" (release candidates), and
these should be based on increased stability all over.

The main problem is Blenders internal version code, which is just a 3
byte code (string) in files, and a short in the code. With our projects
tending to become more complex, and releases done less often, we might
consider to go for bigger jumps in our version naming.

Without changing our current system (backward/upward you know) too
much, I can think of the following;

- add in the code an optional string tag, to be appended to the version
itself ("-Pre" or "-Beta" or "-RC", or "-update". This will only show
in UI.
- add an additional sub-version code in Blender, which is invisble and
only used by the file patching do_versions() in readfile.c
- increase for each official test build (at least once a 2 month) the
version number.
- Move for official stable releases to units of 10. (Meaning, next
official stable release will be 2.50, then 2.60, etc). This allows 10
official testbuilds to be done inbetween, which is more than
sufficient.

BTW; Blender has moved from 1.00 to 2.00 in about 4 years. All
development from 2.00 to 2.40 is already extremely impressive, so we
could consider to move on to 3.0 as well, for example targeted next
year summer somewhere?

-Ton-