[Bf-committers] Post-2.40 release AMD64 question (re: shadbuf.c)

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Nov 30 11:53:47 CET 2005

Hi,

The shadow buffer uses a lossless tile-based compression. The tiles are
each 16x16 pixels in size, hence the allocation of a (size*size/256)
lookup table in shb->zbuf.

This lookup table is an unsigned long, so it can also store an optional
pointer. The parallel buffer shb->cbuf (char) stores codes which
indicates whether this tile is compressed value or a full rect
(pointer) with zbuffer values. The tiles themselves are allocated per
byte OK, same size for 32 or for 64 bits.

For a 2k pixel square shadowbuffer, the zbuf lookup table size is:
32 bits: 62 KB
64 bits: 124 KB

Just two times larger, and very acceptable still. Any 64 bits OS user
should be aware that average memory consumption for applications rises
significantly anyway. :)

-Ton-