[Bf-committers] Some words about a strange thing named

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Nov 25 10:47:16 CET 2005

This is a valid point, but the more important question is:

    "So, we check for NULL, and then do... ?   What, exactly?"

IMHO, a NULL return should typically be handled at a high level by the
malloc() wrapper.  I mean, what can Blender *do* if it can't access any
more memory?  Some suggestions:
    1. Empty caches, and then try again.
    2. Give up, try to save and quit (storing a "run out of memory" flag
in the memory manager to prevent recursion).
    3. (...)?
These things should surely be implemented in a high-level memory
manager, not peppered throughout the code in every function that
allocates memory.  Does anyone disagree?

Jonathan Merritt.