[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] libtiff comments

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Wed Nov 23 15:22:31 CET 2005

Le 23 nov. 05 à 14:47, Kent Mein a écrit :

> I'm not trying to defend myself here.  I could have/should have at
> least tried to get scons working with it.
>
> I was not however aware there was one official build system.
> I thought we were supporting multiple build systems.
>
> I may be a bit unconservative in what I think should be committed
> to cvs...
> But, I think its unreasonable to expect code that adds new
> dependencies,
> to build out of the box right away on every platform, the way
> things are
> setup currently.
> I also think its unreasonable to expect developers to make sure it
> builds
> on every build system.  The reason I bring this up is, the section of
> code I'm in charge of is very prone to this issue, and I'm sure
> this will
> come up again once I have the new makefiles finished.  (It's a bigger
> project and I'm putting a lot more effort into makeing sure things are
> as close to working on all systems as possible.)

Not accusing you either. it is just that this commit came up a bit of
the blue,
i dont remember this having been discussed in the previous meetings.

Afaik, we have 2 official builds systems (makefiles & scons) and imho
at least
those should work on the committer platform (at least created if not
tested).
Then, platform managers can take care of adapting to their needs.
Other build
systems are provided as convenience only and their maintener will
update.

For the rest, we are near release, and the package point is of interest.
As the Os X manager, i find this commit indeed useful for unices, but
fear the number of support requests this will introduce on Os X and/or
windows if we leave it in this state.

ffmpeg was delayed to 2.41 partly for the same reason, useful for
unices,
but status problematic for others

lukep