[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] libtiff comments

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Nov 23 11:07:39 CET 2005

Jean-Luc Peurière wrote:

> Le 23 nov. 05 à 03:07, Martin Poirier a écrit :
>
>>> Finally what features this gives that are not
>>> available via quicktime ?
>>
>> Linux support, as there's no quicktime lib on linux.
>
> my point is that Kent hinted ( in wiki) that even on
> platforms with quicktime there was an interest to do
> that.
>
> If it is only for linux/otherIXs support, this should be
> restricted to these platforms

Currently, libtiff offers nothing more under Linux than QuickTime does
for its plaforms (aside from additional complexity...!).  Hence,
currently, there's nothing to lose by restricting it to *NIXes (or
should that be *NIXen? :-)

However, once higher bit-depth images are available within Blender,
these can also be loaded and saved as TIFF files by libtiff.  (This is
the sort of thing planned for OpenEXR. TIFF would just be another
alternative, but one that a number of legacy applications still use.)
I'm not sure whether this additional capability is something that
QuickTIme also wraps.  I haven't looked into it in detail yet; I've been
waiting for the internal Blender image format to resolve itself first.

Jonathan Merritt.