[Bf-committers] MSVCR71.DLL

Franz Rogar franzrogar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 21:13:17 CET 2005

> > > I'm pretty convinced this file isn't nescessary at
> > all.
> > Not sure for what it's needed, but some users
> > reported that it's
> > needed even to load the program.
>
> Don't quote me on this, but I think it comes from the
> Python 2.4 DLL, which is built (officially) with MSVC
> 7.0.

That's true. The 2.4 branch of Python has the same license problem. It
was discussed in the mailing list about this issue and finally, they
didn't distribute the dll and had to add a nice "banner" of license
saying it was used msvc7...

> > > It has become a dependancy by either using msvc7
> > > and/or linking with directx headers.
> > The dependency becomes from using msvc7.
> >
> > The msvc6 has no license problems as version 7 and
> > can be redistribute
> > in a more *logical* way.
>
> MSVC 6 used to be the "official" environement for
> building windows release of Blender, IIRC. I don't
> remember when that changed.

Some 'testers' use to build against msvc7 because they think that
*last* version seems to be *better* (don't want anyone gets ungry).
License issues are... to drive mad many people. I think, my opinion,
that 'testing' builds (unofficial and official ones) should be
compiled with version 6 *always* to FREE Blender from that weird EULA.

--
Thanks in anyway,
        Franz Rogar