[Bf-committers] Re: New 'merge tools' patch submitted to the patch tracker.

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Sat Nov 12 01:15:48 CET 2005

Hi,
matt at mke3.net (2005-11-04 at 1314.27 +0100):
> Just a small comment: It would feel nicer if it seemed like rather
> than a bunch of different functions, it's just the one merge tool,
> just doing what it should in the various contexts. Maybe it's as
> simple as just using the same terminology, so in the merge menu you'd
> have 'Merge Vertices', 'Merge Edges' and 'Merge Faces' rather than
> collapse. I'd even be willing to suggest that the 'Merge Edges' and
> 'Merge Faces' be the default options in their respective modes.

I find some issues. One is that nothing disallows a Collapse Vertices,
in the same style than Collapse Faces, that is by groups. So for
vertices, it would require 4-5 entries (Merge at center, cursor, last,
first * and Collapse Vertices).

But the biggest one is that both Merge and Collapse make sense in
Edges, at the same time. Collapse makes |||| -> .... and Merge should
do |||| -> |. I think the difference is worth the study of the naming,
as one makes disappear and the other merges in the old meaning of many
becoming one.

Collapse Faces also represents a similar problem, as it is not merging
many into one, but making then vanish, and what is more, paying
attention to how they were connected.

I would even suggest renaming the menu (and parent entry in WKEY) to
Melt for example, making the entries declare what they do, instead of
trying to cover all under a broad Merge name. That would also open a
path for other "Melting" tools.

* I heard that one could become possible too, reason for the vague
"4-5". But just a rumor.

GSR