[Bf-committers] AMD64 bit support issues

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Nov 11 22:05:08 CET 2005

Hi,

> I've got a working build right now using which uses uintptr_t and
> intptr_t instead of long

Hrms, this is not what I talked about. Note that Blender was 64 bits
compliant between 98 and 2001, succesfully using the LP64 convention.
That way you also benefit work done already (like in file reading and
DNA). Only newer parts of code need to be checked.

>  and I'm trying to decided the best way to get this into the necessary
> files and include search paths.  Currently I've changed about 8
> makefiles and 6 SConscript files

I'd appreciate if you would first mail the list what you exactly want
to do?

> but I'm planning today to examine the various search paths more
> closely to see what the current settings are.  It looks like the most
> painless way right now would be add or modify include files in blender
> and the game engine; I don't see any common include path which both
> use consistently.

No idea what you try... the 64 bits versions we did in past didn't need
much tweaks in .h or makefiles...

> So what's the preferred approach?  Duplicate header files with no
> change to the builds, or one header file and changes to the builds
> (which will
> involve the other platform maintainers)?
>
> (Actually, if someone (ton?) can give me a definitive direction to
> take, this could still make it before the cvs freeze)

This is definitely for after 2.40 is out!

-Ton-