[Bf-committers] Renderman

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Nov 11 14:02:28 CET 2005

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the very good sumary below. :)
Also as Robert Wenzlaff replied, the proper solution might be to
refactor the entire convertBlenderScene.c (which does generate blender
render data), and turn into a more structured approach with hooks for
exporting in it. I wouldn't advise to use python for this, render data
is not per-definition accessible for python. This goes for a metaballs,
hair strands, particles, modifiers, and so on. It is also very
important that a framework is created that 100% correctly puts all
objects in the right timing and with the correct transformations and
deformations set.

Related to this topic is that Blender itself could use object-level
caching (bucketing) for rendering as well... meaning it will only
generate the renderfaces when a specific object is accessed (visible or
being traced). Such a structure I would love to see, but would mean a
giant cleanup of Blender's render system too.

So; here we get stuck a bit between quality demands and available
developers... for a new developer I wouldn't really advise to do this,
although I'd be happy to review design proposals for a refactored
render.
I also might tackle a couple of forementioned issues for Orange though,
at this time that's unknown...

-Ton-