[Bf-committers] SDL versus OpenAL

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Nov 11 13:50:34 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Going over last week's mails... the discussion didn't reveil a real solution
> apparently. Probably the most practical solution is not to look at what works
> best, but to choose for what we can maintain best.
>
> My proposol: kick OpenAL out (because of its buggyness and lack of
> maintenance), only use SDL, and add a small wrapper in the SoundSystem
> library to at least support some distance/stereo cueing and support for game
> engine Listener stuff.
>
> Target should be that all code in Blender then goes via the SoundSystem
> module (or a replacement for it), with no SDL reveiled anywhere in our code.
> With such a cleanup we then can look at better support later, for example
> when a devoted developer shows up.
>
> Alexander; is this something you can do?

Hi Ton,

not in the short term, but it's certainly possible... You know that I
*have* already replaced OpenAL with SDL once for the game engine, and this
was done - IIRC - through the same wrappers as for OpenAL..

Of course, the animation system sound doesn't go through the SoundSystem
module...

But I'm not sure if the whole wrapper is needed anymore - as SDL is
supported on all current platforms?