[Bf-committers] SDL versus OpenAL

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Nov 11 13:44:07 CET 2005

Hi all,

Going over last week's mails... the discussion didn't reveil a real
solution apparently. Probably the most practical solution is not to
look at what works best, but to choose for what we can maintain best.

My proposol: kick OpenAL out (because of its buggyness and lack of
maintenance), only use SDL, and add a small wrapper in the SoundSystem
library to at least support some distance/stereo cueing and support for
game engine Listener stuff.

Target should be that all code in Blender then goes via the SoundSystem
module (or a replacement for it), with no SDL reveiled anywhere in our
code. With such a cleanup we then can look at better support later, for
example when a devoted developer shows up.

Alexander; is this something you can do?

-Ton-