[Bf-committers] AMD64 bit support issues

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Thu Nov 10 18:58:22 CET 2005

Ken Hughes wrote:

> I'd like to take some of the patches which have been submitted and clean
> try to get the source fixed up prior to the 2.40 cvs freeze, and we
> could go for now with using longs.  But it would be nice to fix it now
> for all the platforms.

Ok, due to the overwhelming lack of response I'm planning to just do the
simple patch for now so that things compile without errors.  In the
longer run I would like to change these and others to a specific pointer
type with the least impact on the current build systems (I can only test
scons and make under Linux right now, and possibly MSVC in the near
future if someone can point me to a how-to for setting things up with
Visual Studio.NET).

I've got a working build right now using which uses uintptr_t and
intptr_t instead of long and I'm trying to decided the best way to get
this into the necessary files and include search paths.  Currently I've
changed about 8 makefiles and 6 SConscript files but I'm planning today
to examine the various search paths more closely to see what the current
settings are.  It looks like the most painless way right now would be
add or modify include files in blender and the game engine; I don't see
any common include path which both use consistently.

So what's the preferred approach?  Duplicate header files with no change
to the builds, or one header file and changes to the builds (which will
involve the other platform maintainers)?

(Actually, if someone (ton?) can give me a definitive direction to take,
this could still make it before the cvs freeze)

Ken