[Bf-committers] FFMpeg integration -> bf-cvs

Robert Wenzlaff (AB8TD) rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Mon Nov 7 13:39:21 CET 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 06:46, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as far as I can tell, everything that has been added for ffmpeg
> integration is inside #ifdef WITH_FFMPEG, right?
>
> On one of the last meetings, it was decided to make ffmpeg
> linux-only for now, to avoid conflicts with Quicktime and AVICodec.
>
> So, I will commit the ffmpeg stuff shortly into bf-cvs, and the
> build system maintainers should then just modify the
> build systems so that WITH_FFMPEG is only defined on linux. That
> is the easiest solution probably.
>
>Further, there must be a ffmpeg release chosen to be included with
>the source tree (extern/).

I know you're a big fan of quick solutions, but I had a sample of code of
using ffmpeg as a run-time dynamic link lib that would avoid the need to do
much of the above.

It created a structure with pointers to the ffmpeg calls.  If the library was
not there, or the particular call failed to open, then ffmpeg would fail
silently _at run time_ and the options wouldn't be put in the menu.  The only
#ifdef WIN32 I needed was to install macros to map the unix style dynamic
load calls to the Windows dynamic load calls.

Note this isn't blender code, just an example of how to do it.

http://www.soylent-green.com/ff_mpeg_test.zip

I need longer days.  24 hours isn't enough.
               "I drank what?????"
Robert Wenzlaff        rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com