[Bf-committers] AMD64 bit support issues

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Nov 5 10:48:22 CET 2005

Hi,

Where possible, pointers should cast to long. If we (happens in some
places) temporally store pointers in ints (Blender structs), theres a
bigger issue:

- either recode that to do it different
- or change the struct to use long (not much advised..., since this
temporal storage is typically hack)
- or devise a #define or function call that reliably converts the 64
bits address space back to an int, and vice versa (shifting addresses
three bits will give a 32 Gig address space).

That latter solution I like, but then we need a solution for recovering
the lost address space bits... this is OS/platform dependent, so could
be solved in a separate c file with a load of #defines...

-Ton-