[Bf-committers] Blender Hackers Guide

Renato Perini rperini at email.it
Thu Nov 3 16:42:23 CET 2005

If it worths or not is totally dependent by personal point of views.
Someone consider "documentation" (developer's doc and user's doc) an
integral part of a software package.
GCC, for example, has a developer's guide (it describes all GCC
internals, back/front-end interfacing, how to write a front-end with a
toy language as an example).
Blender sources are growing very fast (in size and complexity). Having
an hacker's guide is always better than having nothing.
The Blender user base is big because there is a (good) user
documentation. So, from what I can imagine, it could be the same with a
developer guide.
Many people would be interested in hacking blender but they don't have
the time to dive theirself in the sources just to understand how to
write something in a buffer. Having a good hacker's guide, IMHO, would
be a major step for Blender development.
Just my thoughts.

Shaul Kedem ha scritto:

> I thought of doing something like that, but the general feeling I got
> was that it wouldn't be worth the effort (or maybe I just discussed it
> with the wrong crowd).
>
> Anyway, collecting links for newbie developers sounds like a good idea.
>

> On 11/1/05, *Tom M* <letterrip at gmail.com <mailto:letterrip at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     a number of months back someone had stated a plan to write
>     documentation on a guide to Blender from a developers perspective.
>     Has that progressed at all?
>
>     If not (or even if so) perhaps we should just starting putting things
>     onto the wiki and they can be organized later?
>
>     We currently have documentation in the following places
>
>     A basic guide to compiling the source in the Manual (very incomplete
>     and out of date)
>
>     http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/PartI/Compiling_the_sources
>     <http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/PartI/Compiling_the_sources>
>
>     Assorted links located here
>
>     http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Documentation.628.0.html
>
>     Assorted bits of code base documentation here
>
>     http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev
>
>     And assorted locations for Blender Python developer documentation
>
>     Also cambo has started a wiki on Blender python tips and tricks.
>
>     If agreed, I suggest we use
>
>     http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Hackers_Guide
>
>     as a starting point.
>
>     LetterRip

 Sponsor:
 Sei single e stai cercando l’amore? Entra subito in Meetic, iscriviti gratis, consulta i profili di milioni di single e chatta con loro
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=4051&d=3-11