[Bf-committers] Re: Cumulative PATCH for sequencer (Alexander Ewering)

Peter Schlaile peter at schlaile.de
Thu Nov 3 14:14:46 CET 2005

Hi,

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 bf-committers-request at projects.blender.org wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Peter Schlaile wrote:
>
> > - sound support for _long_ timelines. The current sound handling is
> >  broken by design. Sorry folks.
>
> May I ask in what way the current sound support doesn't work with long
> timelines, and how it's broken by design?

correct me if I'm wrong, but currently every sound file is read completely
into memory and "memcpy"ed on usage.

On a two hour timeline in 48 kHz this is 1,4 GB of ordinary stereo sound
data.

Memory is cheap I know, but you want to do editing on it with several
tracks and then we are going to be _mad_...

What we need is a similar handling of "sound"-tracks just like we do it
with "movie"-tracks. IM-Bufs are loaded on a per frame basis and then
thrown out if cache memory gets low.

The current solution is fine for game sound, and has especially the
feature of integrating the sounds into the blend-files.

We should add something like "external sound"-tracks to the sequencer.

Sorry, about my "broken by design" comment. I was a little bit frustrated,
the evening I noticed, we have to add something completely different to
the sound system.

Greetings,
Peter

----