[Bf-committers] On current collision detection code for softbodies

Nick Winters nickrwinters at gmail.com
Mon May 30 09:12:56 CEST 2005

As it is 12:00am here I'll not find links to complete my comment

Pixar has a paper which notes that simply moving the particle in the
direction specified for the normal [in the context of cloth
simulation] is not sufficent [looks really bad, you'll have to see the
article for more specifics].... the example they use is an armpit or
knee joint where the rigging of the character causes the mesh to
intersect itself at these places.  Simply moving the verts to the
[inner or outer] edge of either the upper arm or edge of the torso
isn't sufficent...  [uhh, it is much easier to see why it is wrong]...
Well anway, their paper proposed that you generate a [plane-like]
surface where these two objects intersect and have the cloth go
there... I don't remember the paper much, but I'd suspect you would
also want to put some kind of friction there [so that somebody could
perhaps pick up the cloth]

so, just asking another way [less context] what will happen when a
soft body gets squished near its center by two spheres which at some
point intersect each other?