[Bf-committers] Re: Softbody Button-naming proposal

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Sun May 15 20:24:21 CEST 2005

Hi,
blenergetic at gmail.com (2005-05-15 at 0751.32 -0700):
> RKL > Prec(ision)

This clearly will require the scale to be changed. Higher numbers in
RKL are less precise. Reason I propose something like ErrorMargin or
ErrMargin. Think about it, Precision 0.1 giving more precise results
than 0.5 and of course a lot more than 1.0 does not sound right.

No big issue, just noting it down.

> Time > Speed
> PostDef > Apply Deform First
> GSpring > Stiffness

In the sense of the thing following the goal or in the sense
internally being rigid? It is not clear. See below for more.

In cvs it is G Stiff, btw, which allows a visual demo of what is going
on (if I understood how the system works).

> GFrict > Goal Damp(ing)
> GMin > Clip Min
> GMax > Clip Max

Clip sounds like cut and discard, not remap, which is what it does,
define the meanings of blue and red in the vertex group. Maybe G Map
Min and Max? It has a more direct mental image to painting the goal
"map". And I guess they should be disabled or disappear if there is no
vertex group in use, but the generic slider.

> ESpring > Elastic(ity)

Another one that will require remapping if the name is kept. High
value of ESpring means strong springs, which means low elasticity.
Maybe this is the one that should be named Stiffness and GSpring be
Track Goal. That way you also avoid having two words that seem
similar, Stiffness and Elasticity, which I think is important to avoid
confusion.

CVS has E Stiff currently. If Stiff ones are kept, they match the Damp
ones, and allows showing a visual representation so people can
understand what goes on. Imagine two version of the object, one in
ghost like look (the goal) and the other fully rendered (the softbody
result) with springs connecting both (controlled by G Stiff and Damp)
and the rendered object with springs following the edges (controlled
by E Stiff and Damp).

http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/blender/softbodies-schematic-01.png

> EFrict > Edge Damp(ing)

The damp ones are already in CVS using E Damp and G Damp. ;]

GSR