[Bf-committers] Blender unified shading language/Renderman export: 2.38?

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri May 13 14:13:37 CEST 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Chris Burt wrote:

> The answer is pretty obvious. Blender isn't so "cutting edge and
> experimental". I would say it probably runs better on slow hardware than most
> other applications with the same features. That is the reason why hardware
> based shaders aren't implemented. Not that nobody is interested. OpenGL code
> in Blender has to be standard enough to run on every platform supported

I'll just throw a comment in even though it's a bit off-topic :)

I for my part think that Blender would benefit from a bit more arrogance.

As many user comments have proven, Blender is a very acclaimed product among
professionals, and being that, it should raise its expectations towards the
hardware it runs on.

Yes, I think Blender can require much better systems (i.e., especially
better OpenGL support) to run. Makers of other applications (you know the names)
even directly cooperate with graphics card makers to ensure compatibility.
Seeing this, Blender can clearly expect more than a 10 year old toaster to run
on :)

Also, talking about "standard enough" - There are newer OpenGL standards than
1.1 :)

Just my opinion - </offtopic>