[Bf-committers] Blender unified shading language/Renderman export: 2.38?

Chris Burt desoto at blender.spaceisbig.com
Fri May 13 06:40:04 CEST 2005

The answer is pretty obvious. Blender isn't so "cutting edge and
experimental". I would say it probably runs better on slow hardware than
most other applications with the same features. That is the reason why
hardware based shaders aren't implemented. Not that nobody is
interested. OpenGL code in Blender has to be standard enough to run on
every platform supported pretty much regardless of what graphics
hardware the machine has. The shaders you're talking about, as far as I
know, won't work on older hardware at all. Come up with some examples to
the contrary and people would be happy to listen.

Regards,
--Chris