[Bf-committers] Blender, Pocketpc, Ghost and GLUT

Kent Mein mein at cs.umn.edu
Tue May 10 19:16:56 CEST 2005

> Hello all,

Hi Salvatore,

This is just my opinion but basically as I see it you have pros/cons for both.
I'd say its a toss up.

If you go with the older version, yes you have smaller code base and the code
is simpler.  Downside of this though is say you want new feature X that
is in the current blender tree, more than likely it will be a heck of a lot
of work to get it added to your old one.  Even if you just look at
blender a couple of months after the source was released, it was an
entirely different beast as far as the code goes at that point.

If you stick with current code base, it will probably be more work,
you'll be more likely to be able to contribute ideas back into the current
tree for everyone else though.  You'll have more developers even if they are
indirect.  For example if someone finds a bug in the code that loads a jpeg
it will get fixed for free in your project if its integrated with bf-blender.
You'll get spiffy new features for free.

Kent
mein at cs.umn.edu
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein