[Bf-committers] Game Engine patch

Carsten Wartmann Carsten.Wartmann at imago-viva.de
Mon May 9 11:42:54 CEST 2005

Kester Maddock wrote:

> 4. The view port would really be better as a property of a camera I think -
> Remove the enable/disable viewport, and always use a camera's viewport.  Set
> the viewport when the camera is created to the canvas width and height.

Hi Kester,

maybe this is too technical for me. Could you please elaborate a bit more?

I think it needs some thinking how the interface should be. Because the
target resolution is not known in most cases we nee the possibility to
tell the camera/viewport a relative value like 30% of the resolution and
a aspect ratio instead of pixel values.

For the user side we immediately found some interesting uses for viewports:

http://www.imago-viva.de/development/blender/Almoina_2vp.jpg

The scene is quite complex (34k Verts and approx. 40MB textures) and
gains form culling very much (depending on the view direction we get
here 30-60fps). With the additional viewport looking exactly back its
still 30fps because now nearly everything gets rendered in every frame.
I am quite happy with the performance.

Regards,
Carsten