[Bf-committers] Re: listener object

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Mon May 9 08:23:36 CEST 2005

Hi Martin,

Martin DeMello wrote:

>I want it for Blender - the main purpose is to allow external programs
>to interact with a running Blender session. My problem with letting
>anything be handled by a script is that as far as I can tell, scripts
>either block the UI or remain inactive when they don't have focus.I
>need some way to wake up a script, ideally by triggering when data is
>written into a socket.

Yes, this would be a good addition, we've had similar requests
previously.  Sockets seems the best way to go, but I've never played
with them, don't know about possible issues right now.  Searching online
confirmed it can be done portably.

About where to look at, script links are declared in
source/makesdna/DNA_scriptlinks_types.h and executed in
source/blender/python/BPY_interface.c, BPY_do_pyscript and friends.
Grepping for link events you can find places where the calls are made:
SCRIPT_FRAMECHANGED, SCRIPT_REDRAW, etc.

Any problem, we can try to help.  You can reach BPython API development
and discussions at the bf-python mailing list:

Willian