[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/blenkernel BKE_global.h blender/source/blender/blenkernel/intern ipo.c scene.c blender/source/blender/blenloader/intern readfile.c writefile.c blender/source/blender/include BSE_time.h BIF_resources.h BIF_spacetypes.h BSE_drawipo.h BSE_headerbuttons.h ...

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun May 8 20:04:58 CEST 2005

Hi,

> You're also supposed to be able to add markers in real time quickly
> with M during animation playback as well, but it seems it hasn't been
> included in bf. I realise my code for doing this may be a bit dodgy,
> but this functionality is absolutely *crucial* to the whole point of
> markers, and it really must be included somehow.

Sure. Extracting all features from CVS logs in tuho wasn't very easy. :)

> Also related to this, I added the ability to right-click within
> animation playback to cancel out of it, which is consistent with other
> 'temporary modes' in Blender and is a nice quick alternative to having
> a stop button in the timeline. Please consider this one, too.

OK.
And I also missed your website... usually the docs there are very OK.
When will it be back? Need temp space?

> * Support for visualising more Ipo types than just Object and Action -
> Material Ipos were very important to me, but I couldn't figure out how
> to implement it myself

There's no generic system for it... the NLA was supposed to do that,
but is very much a half working system still.

Showing - in one timeline - all of the ipo-keys can quickly become a
bit messy too. It shouldn't become the NLA, or does it?

BTW; what if there are 2 or more active/selected objects?

I'd suggest to solve this for later. But can quick hack in Material
ipos.

> * Better feedback for the 'record mode' - the little red button really
> isn't enough, it could be potentially easy to forget about it and end
> up with horrible keyframes everywhere after you've been editing for a
> while. I thought of slightly tinting the entire timeline red when
> record mode is on, to make this a bit more obvious, but got
> sidetracked with other things before implementing :)

Its at least a lot better than it was!

> * A hotkey for 'record mode'. Fabrizio suggested Caps Lock (which
> would be very cool - like a little "on air" light :) but although caps
> lock seems to be defined in the source, it wouldn't work for me here.

Last time I checked it, you can only reliably poll the button event,
not the lamp (status) itself... capslock should be killed!
We're also *really* getting out of hotkeys, time to move the
event-refactor up the urgency list.

> * Python access to the markers and their names. This would be
> excellent for lipsync import scripts, and having this at the release
> would allow people to start working on these immediately.

Have already asked python dude.

> And a todo list for the future, maybe if they seem easy, someone might
> want to take a crack at these too? :)
>
> * 'Snapping mode' - when dragging the time slider back and forth, it
> would snap to markers and keyframe lines when it's within a few
> pixels/frames of them. This could be either a space setting or a
> modifier key while the mouse is held down (Ctrl?).

Hrms.. I've done it with pageup/down now. Nice to experiment later with
it?
Or what about this; the 'Select button' selects, the 'Action button' on
Marker moves frame?

> * Moving markers with G or mouse drag

Done.

> * Extend the record mode to work for sliders and number fields as well
> (eg. for material ipos)

By default? Hrms... then it'll get a dangerous option :)

> * Perhaps tooltips when the mouse is over the keyframe lines, giving
> info like the Ipo name, or for Material and Texture Ipos, what
> material/texture channel it is.

Display of animation info in Timeline versus NLA could be studied on
further i guess...

> Then later, Ton said:
>> Better would be to define what exactly the Markers are useful for...
>> in
>> Tuhopuu they didn't do anything even... just 'marking'. :)
>> I've added pageup/pagedown to move current frame to the markers...
>> maybe that already was out of the scope of the intended functionality?
>> Probably Matt will have a say on this topic first.
>
> We had some discussions on this on the tuhopuu-devel mailing list.
> Here are a couple that describe how I feel about the scope of it all:
>
> http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/tuhopuu-devel/2005-March/
> 001181.html
> http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/tuhopuu-devel/2005-March/
> 001158.html

Checked the screenies... doesn't say much to me. Within the scope of
the 'animation refactor' let's try to define structured ideas for NLA
window and Timeline.

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org