[Bf-committers] Quick proposal for "Print Size" settings mode

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Sun May 8 13:15:39 CEST 2005

Here's a quick proposal for a very compact and easy to port feature from
instinctive-blender, for potential inclusion into the next version. It's
- in my opinion - pretty overseeable and troublefree, so I would be able
to sneak it in into the next release :)

http://pub.intrr.org/printsets.png

Basically, a new mode is introduced into the scene buttons, which
replaces the following buttons:

SizeX, SizeY, AspX, AspY, and the Preset buttons

with:

mmX, mmY, DPI, Flip, Bleed

This adds easier support for setting a specific size for taking your
render to the print stage.

When in this new mode, changing mmX, mmY or DPI will calculate the
new pixel size and put it into the rectx and recty variables. "Flip"
just swaps the two sizes and is a nice quick way to flip between
"Portrait" and "Landscape" after choosing one of the presets (A4,
A5, etc.) on the right.

"Bleed" is the border area added around the image on each side, for
cutting the printout. For example, setting Bleed to 2mm will increase
both the horizontal and vertical size by 4mm each.

Of course, if you would like to view the resulting pixel size of
your image, you can switch the "Print" toggle off, and you will
see the usual pixel dimensions that have been calculated.

With the new code, the DPI setting is also correctly written to
JPEG, BMP and PNG files. They will instantly print in the correct
dimensions.
For other file formats, I didn't quickly find if they have the
required "DPI" field.

There is a *lot* of confusion about things like DPI, print size,
and the like. I've tried to be as clear as possible here. If
any questions remain, feel free to ask :)