[Bf-committers] Turntable view patch

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Mar 25 15:07:04 CET 2005

On 25 Mar 2005, at 11:09 PM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have troubles interpreting the patch... usually I don't apply
> patches to my code without first fully understanding the changes. This
> is in a format I don't recognize.
>
> Can you try to do a "cvs diff -u" for the patch?

I already immediately tested and committed this patch to tuhopuu3.
Maybe it may help to see the code here:
http://projects.blender.org/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/tuhopuu3/source/
blender/src/view.c?cvsroot=tuhopuu#rev1.2

> The reason why I recoded turntable to become hybrid with a trackball
> component, was because the viewrotate method works with small
> increments (rotations on rotations etc), causing the "up vector" to
> become slanted after a while. This was an annoying bug, reported in
> tracker.
>
> While trying to fix that I thought it would be nice to develop a
> hybrid, giving turntable method when you move with mouse horizontally
> in the center of window, and giving trackball on vertical motion on
> the edges.
>
> I might consider bringing back traditional turntable for blender, but
> only when it incorporates a solution for the incrementing bug,
> something I can't see in your code?

In my opinion as a turntable user (and in the opinions of many other
people, as noted on the forums etc), the hybrid approach is frustrating
and causes more problems than it solves. The 2.36 method drifts from an
upright Z axis far more frequently than the old method, which is
precisely what people use the turntable mode to *prevent*. At least in
my testing of the patch today, I didn't notice any Z axis drifting at
all - it all stayed perfectly upright, as I want it to.

Cheers,

Matt