[Bf-committers] Bug tracker stats + engine future...

Mal mal at candomultimedia.com
Fri Mar 25 14:45:09 CET 2005

Hi Kester,

>I just don't have a lot of time at the moment.  I've just committed some stuff
>from Erwin (mail me if it breaks stuff) for abstracting the physics engine so
>hopefully we can make progress, and use eg ODE as well.  There are still some
>major bugs, but it is a start.  I'll look at it some more over Easter
>weekend.

That sounds very cool, if you and Erwin are on the case, that is a good
sign for the future of the physics in the games engine ( which in effect
should be the basis for eg prototype engines for new artists to use...
FPS, character, driving etc ).  I think most game engine issues stem
from the current physics engine ( unstable, slow etc ).  With eg ODE
integrated, the GE would have a really excellent physics solution, as
well as maybe making it more appealing to research students etc for
non-game, simulation work.

>I don't think splitting it off is a good idea - it will just be easier to let
>it die.

Ton wrote...
 > What do you mean with the 'easier let it die' alternative? To just
stick to current status quo?

I think he means that, if the cord was cut between Blender and the
Blender Game Engine, the number of users would really decrease, and the
development would probably halt.  If there was a rumbling about cutting
the games engine from the main distro, I'd say give it until the next
point release before discussing further.

Mal