[Bf-committers] Re: Re: Thoughts on speeding up...

GSR - FR famrom at infernal-iceberg.com
Fri Mar 25 00:52:13 CET 2005

Hi,
jlp at nerim.net (2005-03-25 at 0015.09 +0100):
> Hmm.  In this case Hyper Toasting is appropriate, as with a single
> floating
> point unit, both threads will compete for it and often result in not
> better,
> or even worse rendering times. Dont trust Intel Marketers ;)

I thought the issue was not the number of units, but the absurd level
of stages to be able to keep the clock rate high. So they figured they
could feed something to an unit when the previous thing has moved to
the next stages instead of causing a bubble. But yes, I have not
checked if it would work or not for this case, so the "could *".

> As for supporting more than 2 cores, yes that can be fine, but the
> logical
>   solution for render is to launch more than one instance, each rendering
> at its own path its own frame. No scheduling problem this way nor coding
> complexity.

That is nice for animations, but not for stills. Of course, it can be
focused in other way: make each render a fixed part of a frame without
having to pay attention to others, and then combine later. So a
dispatcher goes assigning works, and each one goes on itself to only
report back periodically, knowing that the resources it has been
assigned are for itself only.

GSR