[Bf-committers] Thank you ton

Jean-Michel Smith jeanmichel.smith at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:45:44 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:25:52 -0600, Jeremy Wall <zaphar at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Thank you for having such an open attitude with everything.  Thank you for
> > > spending so much time on Blender.
> >
> > I can't see the open attitude you mention. Can you elaborate? ;-)
>
> oh give the guy a break dude. He's being complimentary to Ton. Don't
> spoil his good intentions. :-)

Besides which blender IS open, completely and utterly.  If someone
disagrees with a decision Ton makes, the GPL allows them to fork it
and start a completely new branch, with a completely new vision.  It
really doesn't get much more open than that!

FWIW I think Ton is pretty damn open, while still maintaining a bit of
coherent control that any project this size requires.  No one
questions Linus Torvalds "openness," and if you think disagreements
here about what should and should not be added, and when, you shoud
check out the Linux Kernel Mailing List sometime.  Some of the
disagreements there have been positively toxic, yet Linux maintains
reasonably tight control over what goes in the mainstream kernel, and
with good results.  I would say exactly the same of Ton.

my two nickels,

Jean.