[Bf-committers] Re: Notes and thoughts on the transform work

Jason Saunders blenergetic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:47:07 CET 2005

>Global grab/rot/scale will
>remain there anyway with G/R/S hotkeys always, and manipulator widgets
>work nicest for constraining to special situations anyway.

Thats true, but you can't depend on a user to know lots of different
methods of transform... as said in the wiki doc above, the system
right now isn't very unified. (which is ok, its in a testing state for
now). But we definitely need to have a unified workflow; not widgets
for this, hotkeys for that, etc etc. One should be able to use only
hotkeys, or only widgets if they prefer.

I agree that having 4 modes to cycle through (off/global/local/normal)
with MMB click could be combersome. But I think moving along normals
is a more specific case; not sure if it needs an entire widget "mode"
on its own. Perhaps pressing NKEY during transform would be sufficient
(with helper text in the header). Then with three modes
(off/global/local) I think that MMB click would be quite fast... I
keep my hand on the MMB(wheel) all the time for zoom. Of course thats
me - it could be hard for people with Alt-Leftclick as there only
option. In any case, I think we should try to find a quick method of
toggling/cycling through the widgets without lots of different hotkeys
for separate things (IMO).

oh my, off on a rant again!
Anyways, its still in development - just my ideas :)