[Bf-committers] Re: Notes and thoughts on the transform work

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Mar 21 12:06:48 CET 2005

Hi,

> matt at mke3.net (2005-03-20 at 1441.09 +1100):
>> Having said that, the things I mention aren't really much of a
>> departure from what's currently there.
>
> IMO the following:
>
> "MMB click: Cycle between No Manipulators / Global Manipulators /
> Local Manipulators
> MMB drag: Orbit view"
>
> Should require shift + control (I think that is the only left that can
> go with MB2) for the click that cycles. If you check blender style,
> when there is a drag, the click is highly related, sometimes even just
> a "plus" of the plain click. IOW, it would avoid that changing ones
> mind about a view transform or a moving click means something else.

I agree this cycling idea is cumbersome to put in MMB clicks. Cycling
is cumbersome anyway, since there's 4 options even for editmoded (no
manip, global, local, normal). Need to find nicer way for it. I also
rather have its own hotkey devoted to 'manipuls on/off', and another
for switching orientations.

It also might be well possible that - in practice - only the 'local'
and 'normal' orientations will be used. Global grab/rot/scale will
remain there anyway with G/R/S hotkeys always, and manipulator widgets
work nicest for constraining to special situations anyway.

Will experiment with it soon. First have to code all variants for
orientation of the widgets, and then we can check how it all works
together with 'normal' transform too. Just WIP for now!

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org