[Bf-committers] Project openings

Jean-Michel Smith jeanmichel.smith at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 18:22:46 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:04:43 +0100, Luigi Monaco <zdys at zdys.de> wrote:

> i meant NOT to change the extension. keep it as it is. if you want to compress,
> let blender handle it. backwards compatibility is a point, spread the news that
> files done with an actual blender version may have to be gunzipped before being
> used in older versions.

Or perhaps let blender compress it (using bzip2 or whatever is
preffered) and change the .blend extention to .cblend instead.
Blender does the compression/decompression, the file extention
differentiates between compressed and uncompressed .blends, and
windoze can be made to behave and associate .cblends (or whatever
they're called) with blender.  As an aside I think it's unfortunate
(and ineligant) that yet another gaping design flaw in windows should
dictate a convention like this for a cross platform application, where
every other platform can deal with the appropriate .blend.gz and even
allow 3rd party apps to decompress it correctly, but OTOH I hate to
see artists using that platform put at even more of a disadvantage
than they already are.

Jean.