[Bf-committers] Project openings

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Mar 16 13:20:27 CET 2005

Hi,

Time to get rid of an old todo... not only updating the 'current
projects' list, but also mapping out the 'projects wanted' (or todo)
list. Before I'll compose a CMS page and/or article for it (call for
help!) I put on the list here for review/suggestions.

I think we're in need for dev help here;

- Ghost maintenance
   - Dual screen support
   - fullscreen window support (Windows)
   - fix event manager for non-english keyboards

- Booleans library
   - just doesn't work satisfying... need new code probably!
   - hopefully something that can work interactive, like drilling holes
in editmode

- Mesh tools
   - fix subdivide routine for edge/face select
   - same for knife tool
   - multi resolution editing (subsurf based)

- Curves/Surfaces
   - maintenance in Blender in general (adding cardinal/bspline editing)
   - integrating Nurbana?

- UI Font library
   - vertical text
   - readable 3d (rotated) text...

- Subdivision surfaces
   - cleanup subsurf.c code to make it more generic (e.g. providing a
generic vertex index-based subdivision output to use for interpolating
coordinates, UV, seams, colors, etc)
   - add support for incremental updates
   - fix methods as used now to support editmode Mesh (pointers to
editMesh data)

- Internationalization
   - project needs coordination in general
   - code is messy...
   - also related to Ghost, input with non-english keyboards

- Import/export
   - project needs coordination (docs, maintaining contacts for bugfixes)
   - maintain current dxf and inventor reader

- Game engine
   - need more devs, also to define future of engine in Blender
   - evaluate splitting off in new project, and provide it as plugin
option
   - is old 2.04 engine ("Enji") still an option?

- Rigid Body, ODE
   - add the open source ODE project in Blender, as tool for creating
animations
   - possibly; in cooperation with efforts in the game engine

- External render support
   - check on current yafray support, how to extend it for aqsis or
other systems

- Blender file compression
   - Adding builtin gzip for file saving/reading
   - extension .blend.gz keeps it backwards/upwards compliant

- OpenGL issue tracking
   - need opengl coders to keep track of the entire UI for drawing
pixmaps, etc
   - for all platforms, especially Linux!
   - Sun and Irix and 3Dlabs cards have swapbuffer issues still

- Blender UI work
   - new icons design (scalable or mipmaps)
     (+ long list... fill it in later)

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org