[Bf-committers] GPL or (c) infringement?

Jean-Michel Smith jeanmichel.smith at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:13:01 CET 2005

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:45:36 -0800 (PST), D.J. Capelis
<djcapelisp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Luxuriousity has been doing this for a long time.
>  The guy running it is fairly careful to stay
> just on the right side of the GPL.  Looks like he
> made a mistake with the images, but I'm not sure
> it's even worth pursuing.

On the legal side, probably not.  He should take down the copyrighted
images, but a letter to that effect is sufficient.  If he refuses,
then the copyright holders of the images could take action, if they
feel it's worth it, but as for the blender project, I think spending
too much time worrying about him is a little pointless.

> To be honest he's just some pest trying to profit
> off other people's work.  I think handling him
> like we'd handle a troll on IRC or a forum is
> probably the best shot.  Namely: ignore him.
> It's not like he's going to supplant blender, he
> might end up luring a few people, but they'll
> learn.

I agree with this only to a point.  Ignorning him in the sense of not
harrassing his auctions is reasonable.  But I do think an informative
page about him on the blender site is a good idea.  Particularly if it
is aimed at his victims...I mean, "customers," informing them of what
he is, what he does, and that they can download updates to the free
program they bought at no charge here, get support here and at
elysiun, etc. etc.  In other words, educate them about the real
blender community and product, so they can continue to use and enjoy
the program and understand what their rights are vis-a-vis the GPL.

Beyond that little bit of education and "buyer beware" information,
I'd probably not spend a lot of time worrying about this guy.  Now, if
his GPL violations become eggregious, he begins to harm the blender
community and/or reputation, or he violates the blender trademark,
then I'd go after him full bore.

my two cents, and worth exactly that,

Jean.