[Bf-committers] GPL or (c) infringement?

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 17:28:42 CET 2005

Ton,

I second Barts suggestion of contacting the Free Software foundation
or one of the other related groups he linked to.

We don't have enough information to determine if the individual is
violating the GPL but as you pointed out he is violating a number of
copyrights on images.  You should ask the individual who bought the CD
to ask for the source code from the seller (if the seller refuses then
it would be a GPL violation), also ask them to search for GPL on the
CD.

The openoffice people appear to be of the opinion that the rebranding
is legal also

http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@openoffice.org/msg00693.html

The lux site is listed under the yahoo directory for software resellers

He has also peeved other Free Software projects, see this thread

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg06422.html

Note the post is from Sat, 26 Apr 2003, so this has been going on for some time.

You might advise the individual to give negative feedback, and might
contact ebay regarding the copyrights.

Also the seller has overstock sales also

http://auctions.overstock.com/cgi-bin/auctions.cgi?PAGE=PRODDET&PRODUCTID=1293116

Robert,

>A 2D CAD package (that I'd like to find, so I know
>where to D/L it

the CAD package appears to be QCAD

http://linux-cd.com.ar/manuales/qcad/004.html

>Since the max price he's asking is $20
> is that _that_ much over a "copying fee" to worry about.  OpenOffice.org
> charges ~$10 if you want a CD mailed.

There is also a 7$ shipping fee he charges so 27$.

LetterRip