[Bf-committers] GPL or (c) infringement?

Robert Wenzlaff (AB8TD) rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Thu Mar 10 14:31:28 CET 2005

And on a more direct approach, if you see an ad on ebay, ask him (questions
are displayed for other bidders to read) "how this differs from the free
software available at www.blender3d.com?"

On Thursday 10 March 2005 05:03, Matt Ebb wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2005, at 8:50 PM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> > Apart from infringing copyright of used images, and false claims
> > (these images have been made by...), does GPL allow you to fully
> > rebrand and repackage a product without crediting the origins?
>
> As far as I know, yes - as long as the origins are credited within the
> software. It happens with forks, like Gimp -> Cinepaint, and also Linux
> distributors do lots of rebranding of their desktop environments. As
> long as they comply with the GPL (providing source, etc) they're ok.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLCommercially
>
> Though section 2 of the GPL does say:
> a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
>      stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
>
> c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
>      when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
>      interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
>      announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a
>      notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide
>      a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under
>      these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
>      License.  (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but
>      does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on
>      the Program is not required to print an announcement.)
>
> So we'd need to see exactly what form Blender is in on the CD, and what
> (if any) modifications have been made.
>
> >  And if so, then how do copyright laws protect against such spoofs?
>
> It doesn't - those rights are given away with the GPL (right to modify,
> etc.). If he were using the Blender name, then there's be a case under
> trademark law - depends if he's gone and changed the splash screen,
> etc.
>
> At least that's my interpretation of it.
>
> I've had luck getting things like this taken down from eBay that have
> used my copyrighted images in the item description, I guess that's the
> easiest way to attack things like this.
>
> Matt

You can't always have what you want. Sometimes things don't
  work as planned.  Things get lost and sometimes can't be
  found.   Death can occur at any time, without warning.

        Microsoft.  Software for the real world.
Robert Wenzlaff                 rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com