[Bf-committers] Report of HE Mesh

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Mon Mar 7 12:00:15 CET 2005

joeedh wrote:

>> - Closed mesh only or open ?
>> - if open, allowing inner boundaries ?
>> - genus order supported ?
>> - holes in faces ?
>> - face in face ?
>> - genus handles starting from a face in face
>> - multiples shells, multiples components (mandatory, but handling
>> depend if we support holes in faces) ?
>> - exceptional vertexs ? (eg  2 pyramids joined by the point, handling
>> change if hole in faces or not)
>> **- supporting reflexive half edges ( edge with same face on each
>> side, ie tube with one seam) ?
>> **- supporting tube with no seam ? ( from a topological point of
>> view, if open at each end, it is the same as a face with hole, but
>> change the requirements on structs if not)
>> - degenerates cases (eg edge with no face, isolated vertices)
>> And i forgot certainly more. For making things even more complex all
>> those features are not independant
>>
>> (the 2 marked ** would cause problems to other parts of blender i think)
>>
> I've actually thought about this.  It wil support:
> * Closed and open meshes.
> * Exceptional vertexs
> * Multiple components
> * Multiple shells
>
> I think that maybe there can be isolated verts, not really difficult
> to do (just set edge pointer to NULL), the only problem is how to you
> make faces from them beyond triangles or quads.
>
> Although, I don't want to support faces in faces or holes in faces  or
> that kind of thing.  It seems to be that you can achieve a similar
> result with various extrusion functions (like individual faces).
>
> joeedh

Hi Joeedh
Just wondering if this might not be a good chance to increase some
limits for Mesh data, like the number of materials could be set to 256
rather then 16.
Another thing that would be nice, is edge based smothing. But this
probably not related to the Half edge structure, more an edge property.
- Cam

--
Campbell J Barton

133 Hope Street