[Bf-committers] defualt python scripts in OSX

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Mar 5 14:59:56 CET 2005

Hi,

Apart from reviewing individual cases, we should also check on the
current targeted installation (and dependencies) procedure for Blender,
and refine it where possible. This procedure has been documented here;

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Installation_Policy.352.0.html

We already have a complexity to manage, but benefit still mostly from
treating OSX as a Unix variant. That's not according to Apple
guidelines however, which defines helper files to be stored in
~/Library and /Library respectively.

However, when we decide to use Library for OSX, we'll also have to use
an installer. For Windows that has proven to be quite inevitable,
because of the way this Registry stuff seems to work. The fact we
didn't require that for OSX Blender I still consider as a big PRO. :)

With Python becoming more integrated & powerful, we could think of an
alternative way to solve it though. For example by providing a
clickable script in the install dir to copy the Python scripts to
~/Library/Blender/Python/ and add that to the search paths in Blender
as first directory to check on.

-Ton-