[Bf-committers] Plugin API proposal

Kent Mein mein at cs.umn.edu
Fri Jun 24 06:18:42 CEST 2005

> Looking through the Plugin code, I realized that it really is only
> geared toward "texture" and "sequence" plugins, not allowing for any
> extensibility. I propose a complete rewrite of the entire plugin system,
> using a more "cross-plugin" approach. A standard API for loading plugins
> should be written, and then all the types of plugins can be added using
> that API. If there are any additions/changes or other proposals, they
> can go here or at the wiki page
> (http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Blenderdev/PluginAPI).

Hi Austin,

I don't mean to burst your bubble here, but quite a few people have
proposed expanding blender via plugins.  Check out the archives but
basically the replay has been.

If you look at the majority of applications that use plugins extensively
they are closed source and need an api to extend them.
(Yes their are exceptions), in general though they add complexity to
blender and don't really buy you a whole lot since everyone has access
to the entire source code.

Having said that, I do think that standardization could help in a number
of places within blender.

Kent
mein at cs.umn.edu
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein