[Bf-committers] Re: Proposing Crystal Space as an Alternative to GameBlender

Jorrit Tyberghein jorrit.tyberghein at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 11:28:58 CEST 2005

On 6/22/05, erwin at erwincoumans.com <erwin at erwincoumans.com> wrote:

> Hi Jorrit,
>
> Hope you are doing fine. The game logic consists of the visual logic bricks
> (sensors controllers and actuators). Python is a special controller, which
> has access to game objects, properties and logic bricks.
>
> Making it backwards compatible will be extremely difficult

We will make it as compatible as we can at least with the
sensor/controller/actuator system. The only thing which we will not
make compatible is the use of python scripts as the CS/CEL python API
is fundamentally different.

> By the way, I've been using Simbionic recently, a very interesting
> hierarchical finite state machine editor and debugger. This comes close to
> my ultimate goal for the blender logic system.

I have a question here. I have been looking a bit at the
sensor/controller/actuator system and it seems like it can be fitted
pretty well to the CEL game logic system. There are a few things
missing in CEL but those can be added. On the other hand, CEL has some
stuff that can't currently be done with the current blender system. Is
it possible (through python preferably) to extend the number of
sensors/actuators/controllers so that you can make a python plugin for
blender that adds new stuff in those comboboxes?

Greetings,

--
Project Manager of Crystal Space (http://www.crystalspace3d.org)
and CEL (http://cel.crystalspace3d.org)