[Bf-committers] Proposing Crystal Space as an Alternative to GameBlender

Jorrit Tyberghein jorrit.tyberghein at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 11:49:31 CEST 2005

Hi all.

I'm the project manager of Crystal Space
(http://www.crystalspace3d.org) which is an Open Source 3D engine
framework that runs on Linux, Windows, and MacOS/X. At this moment
Blender is already a very popular modeller for game projects that use
Crystal Space. We have a very functional exporter plugin which can
convert Blender worlds to Crystal Space format
(http://b2cs.delcorp.org/index.php/Main_Page).

>From some discussion on the IRC channel #blendercoders and also from
the CS community I gathered that there is a lot of interest in a
GameBlender look-alike that would work with Crystal Space as the core
3D engine. After some discussion about this subject the developers
from the blender2crystal exporter (see url above) decided that they
are interested in giving this a try. The plan is to make something
that resembles how GameBlender works but use Crystal Space and CEL
instead of the current GameEngine. CEL is a companion project of
Crystal Space that takes care of the game logic. CEL supports Python
(in addition to Java and Perl) which would be a plus too. We will make
this an independent project which integrates (through python bindings)
with blender as a plugin.

I know little about how GameBlender currently works. Can someone give
me some pointers on it? What kind of game logic do we need to support
and so on.

Also who is interested in helping out with this project?

I sent this mail mostly as an anchor for some productive discussion on
this subject.

Greetings,

--
Project Manager of Crystal Space (http://www.crystalspace3d.org)