[Bf-committers] Round 2: OpenEXR in Blender's CVS

Gernot Ziegler gz at lysator.liu.se
Mon Jun 20 15:38:05 CEST 2005

Hej !

I have recently re-designed the OpenEXR I/O plugin according to Ton's
specifications;
it provides a small C-wrapper for the OpenEXR C++ calls in
/source/blender/openexr/openexr_api.* .

The ImBuf writeimage and readimage calls are still handled by
/source/blender/imbuf/intern/openexr.c , but this time it delegates all
the OpenEXR calls to openexr_api.* to keep all C++ stuff encapsulated. The
functionality is exactly the same as before (RGBAZ write, RGBA read, both
in half floats).

OpenEXR compilation is optional (using WITH_OPENEXR in all the rest of
the Blender code), just like quicktime
compilation; to the build options: I know only about the SCons integration, but Kent Mein has recently
finished the corresponding Makefiles.

To those who complained about the size of the OpenEXR libs:
It showed that the libs were compiled with -g per default, that's why they
were at 11 MB size - a simple strip boiled them down to 900 kB, so it is
thinkable to have static Blender version with OpenEXR :-)

If the tuhopu guys are interested in OpenEXR support, I will gladly
help them to integrate it there; but I won't be able to maintain 2
versions of it.

Kent and me cooperate now on an SVN version of a recent CVS snapshot (the
one from saturday, mail Kent or me if you need access to it, I guess Kent
can arrange that).

When the patch has been approved, we would then re-integrate it into main
CVS.

What I would need help with:
.) Windows integration: Kent and me have no clue on how Windows
compilation of OpenEXR files work. Could a Windows tester/builder contact
me so that we can sort this out ?

.) Are there any Blender architecture/design requirements we forgot ?

.) Are there features that absolutely have to be there from the beginning
?

Servus,
  Gernot

--
O  The Austria <=> Sweden <=> Germany <=> Netherlands connection.....   H