[Bf-committers] New text issues

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jun 20 14:46:37 CEST 2005

Alexander Ewering wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Jonathan Merritt wrote:
>
>> Hi Mats,
>>
>> Just add lorem.c to the list of source files in
>> source/blender/src/SConscript
>

> Eh, SConz doesn't find new source files automatically like
> 1970s make?
>
> /me points and laughs at modern hip build systems ;-)

scons doesn't even automatically remember your environment variables!
That should have you ROTFLYAO... :-)  It took me an embarrasing length
of time to figure out how to use ccache with scons as a result (does
anyone need some tips?).

On the other hand, scons does give a reassuring feeling of control.  The
kind of control you'd be tempted to automate away in a Makefile.  A
feeling of control powerful enough to make even the most paranoid among
us wonder if we really need to wear our tinfoil hats today. :-)

Seriously, though, my only actual complaint about scons is how terribly
slow it always seems to be.  Other than that, it's fantastic.

Jonathan Merritt.